Wednesday, March 23, 2011

MACC Officer's Reaction At Tribunal

Mohd Anuar Ismail tries to hold back his tears as he recalls how the public pointed an accusing finger at him over Teoh Beng Hock’s death.

The Officer's reaction smells of extream fowl, Somethings amiss, A Can Of Maggots Sizzling and about to EXPLODE!

KUALA LUMPUR: A Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission investigator broke down yesterday when he related how he feared for his family's safety following Teoh Beng Hock's death which had angered the public.

Mohd Anuar Ismail, 34, could not hold back his tears as he recalled how the public pointed an accusing finger at him and his organisation for Teoh's death."I was worried over the general perception as Teoh was my witness," he said when questioned by conducting officer Awang Armadajaya Awang Mahmud.

"I did not know what had happened to him and did nothing to contribute to his death."
He told the Royal Commission of Inquiry that he was afraid after photographs of him standing with Teoh and his lawyer, M. Manoharan, were splashed in the newspapers.The photographs were taken on July 15, 2009, the day before Teoh was found dead. They were taken when Anuar led a team which raided Teoh's office at the state secretariat building.

"I was afraid there would be anger against us and I could be physically hurt. I was the IO (investigating officer) for the case; my witness was found dead. It looked bad for me."Teoh, the political aide to Seri Kembangan assemblyman Ean Yong Hian Wah, was found dead on July 16, 2009, on the fifth floor corridor of Plaza Masalam in Shah Alam. The Selangor MACC office was at that time located on the 14th floor of the building.Anuar broke down in court yesterday when he was questioned why he stopped at his home in Puchong before heading to Putrajaya to explain Teoh's death to his superiors.

"I wanted to inform my wife to be careful and to take care of our child."I did not want to call her on the phone as I felt it was more appropriate to tell her face to face.

Awang: Were you responsible for his death?

Anuar: No. I leave it to the court to decide.

Commission chairman Tan Sri James Foong Cheng Yuen then asked Anuar why he felt worried if he had not done anything wrong.

Anuar: My photograph with Teoh was published in the media. Surely people would be angry with me? What would Teoh's family and friends think? Earlier that day, my wife had also contacted me and told me she saw several unidentified cars driving around my house. I told her to leave the house and go to Gombak.

Foong: So you went home so that your wife could comfort you?Anuar wiped away tears and apologised for not controlling his emotions.

Foong then stood the matter down to allow Anuar time to regain his composure.When the inquiry resumed, panel member Prof Dr Mohamed Hatta Shaharom, a forensic psychiatrist, asked why Anuar was upset.

Anuar: This case involved a MACC witness. Our officers have suffered tremendously following this incident. We could not operate for a week as other witnesses refused to come to our office. This incident has impacted me personally and our organisation as a whole.

Hatta: You never once mentioned about the deceased's family. Imagine how sad they would feel?

Anuar: I know that but this was beyond our control.

Hatta: Do you feel your negligence contributed to his death?

Anuar: I don't think so. It has been two years. I do not feel any regret but I felt sorry that it had happened to the MACC. (What The #*%#@*&%!)

Hatta: Would you have done anything different if you could turn back time?

Anuar: Yes. I would have asked my officers to stay with him that night instead of just leaving him in the office and would have sent him out of the door when he was ready to go home.

Foong: You seem remorseful for what had happened.

Anuar: What happened to Teoh was beyond my control.

Foong reminded Anuar that everything was under his control and he should have had proper communication skills to treat witnesses better."He too has a wife and family," added Foong.Earlier, Anuar said he was shocked to learn of Teoh's death and was curious how he was found in that state.He said he had slept in the office the night Teoh was interrogated by other officers and woke up at 8.30am on July 16 to find Teoh's bag and mobile phone still there."I went around looking for Teoh but could not find him," he said, adding that he thought Teoh had returned home.

Anuar said Teoh did not look like a dangerous man. Instead, he was soft spoken and had said he wanted to complete giving his statement that night.After officer Mohd Nazri Ibrahim finished recording Teoh's statement at 3.30am, Anuar said he told Nazri to inform Teoh he could go home.He also said that during the early stage of the graft investigations, MACC had suspected that Teoh could also have been involved.Inquiry continues today.

No comments: