I strongly believe that Libya should be invaded by the Super Powers and Gaddafi Should Be Put Down without further delay!
UK forces are preparing to help enforce a no-fly zone over Libya after the UN backed "all necessary measures", short of an invasion, to protect civilians.
Downing Street has cautioned against earlier suggestions that British planes could be in action "within hours" and declined to put a timetable on it.
The UN resolution rules out a foreign occupation force in any part of Libya.
The cabinet will meet on Friday and Prime Minister David Cameron will make a statement to the Commons, No 10 said.
The resolution imposes a "ban on all flights in Libyan airspace", except for aid planes. It authorises member states to "take all necessary measures" to "protect civilians and civilian populated areas under threat of attack", including in the rebel stronghold of Benghazi. It also calls for an immediate ceasefire, an end to the violence, measures to make it more difficult to bring foreign mercenaries into Libya and a tightening of sanctions.
Contingency planning in the UK,
(1) France and Nato has been going on for weeks, but will now be accelerated.
(2) The UN resolution is so broad it allows military action against all threats to civilians - so could even involve bombing Col Gaddafi's forces on the ground if deemed necessary.
(3) Britain could contribute Tornado GR4 ground attack aircraft as well as reconnaissance and early-warning aircraft and tankers for air-to-air refuelling.
(4) The resolution means they could also attack Libyan helicopter gunships as well as Libya's fixed-wing aircraft, most of which are Soviet-era fighters as well as some more modern French Mirage F1s.
(5) However, many of the crucial final details still need to be worked out between the nations contributing to the mission to ensure that all the necessary means are in place.