Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Harjit named longest serving TV news presenter


This Great Man has been a part of my childhood, i always admired him and the veterans of Radio 4 for their flawless English. They showed Malaysia what proper English is. What's more astounding is this man has never changed, never grown old, the very same man i used to watch since the 80s! My Tribute to goes to him while i remember the great names of Radio 4;

Dato' Faridah Merican (One Of A Kind), Constance Haslam (One Of A Kind)
Dato' Yasmin Yusoff, Ronnie Atkinson, Emile Moisnac, Munira Murad, Rizal Abdullah, Janet Ambrose, Nubert Ambrose, Alan Zachariah, Alan Bligh, Emilia Teh, Marianne, Patrick Teoh (talented but idiotic), And not forgetting the late Bosco De'Cruz Of RTM & The Performing Arts. I Miss You All So Much!
(The Star) PETALING JAYA: Veteran RTM newscaster and television personality Harjit Singh Hullon said it had always been his dream to appear on television.

“Ever since the first time I tuned in to the radio, I knew I wanted my voice to be heard too,” he said after being named the ‘longest serving television news presenter’ by the Malaysia Book of Records yesterday after 38 years of service with the government station.

The best part of the honour, he said, is that he did not break an existing record, but created a new one!

“It will not be an easy record to break,” said Harjit who joined RTM as a radio deejay in 1972.
He later left the country to study medicine in India but returned after just three months realising that his broadcasting was his passion.

“I didn’t get a ‘Dr’ in front of my name, but managed to get ‘DJ’ instead,” he joked.
Harjit became a newscaster a year later and the rest, as they say, is history.

The bilingual newscaster, known for his flawless Bahasa Malaysia and English, won the inaugural Infor­mation Minister’s Special Award at the Angkasapuri Awards presentation ceremony in 2006.

Harjit will be retiring this year but the 57-year old father of two does not plan to sit back and relax.

“I want to give back to the company that made me who I am today,” he said, adding that he planned to serve as a mentor and share his knowledge with fresh newscasters in RTM.

As a regular and familiar face to viewers of RTM as well as being the only Sikh newscaster on the channel, Harjit says his friends have given another meaning to the acronym ‘RTM’.
“My friends say it stands for ‘Regular Turbanned Man’,” he joked.

On his loyalty to RTM, Harjit said he never thought of leaving the government broadcaster despite receiving offers from rival companies.

“Looking back, I know I made the right choice,” he said.